21.9.06

Rawr!

Hedningarna played at the Telemark Festival this year, while I was trying to save some cash to live on for a year in the town where the festival takes place. I arrived two months later.
The positive side, is that I'm getting back to collecting research material for the thesis paper I need to write this year. I also have roughly one month to apply for the grant money the honors department recently informed me of. It's a relatively safe assumption that other people are much more organized in what they are asking for than I am. They can probably justify why their research needs to be done, and have more than a general idea of what they are writing about. But I'm trying to focus on the positive here. I've made e-mail contact with a couple of the Finnish girls I met in January. One is a fan of folk metal and the other studies kantele (she is one of the most awesome people I have met, and she gave us a post-drinking impromptu concert when I told her I am interested in Finnish folk music). I spoke with a girl tonight who married an amateur musician, and she is going to bring me his cd to listen to, and I'll get to interview him. This means that I have to start creating interview questions. I've never really done interviews for a serious paper before. I'm not really sure what all the protocols are. For example, should I have some form of agreement written up, stating that 'this is what I'm going to do with this information, and I have your permission to do so, sign here'? I'm not sure how much music I am going to have to delete from my iPod so that I can use it as a mini-recorder. So I get to fake it, and pretend I know what I'm doing. And with luck, it will all turn out okay.
In other news, the forspillers are out in raucous force, it being a Thursday night, and I really need to get my journals for Telemark culture written, so no playtime for me.

No comments: