6.10.06

Norwegian Ska

First, two notes on my trip to Oslo that I forgot to mention. When I got back to Bø my Spaniard (not that I have any particular claim on her, but she's the only one that I have a class with) was walking up the hill with the Italians and one of the Latvians. She greeted me with "My Captain" which I thought very endearing. We had been on the same sailing team. The other thing, was that I got an SMS* from one of the teknisk crew at Kroa asking if I could work for him the following day, which from the time of this post is now yesterday. He had a project coming due. Despite my own duedates in the near future, I agreed to take his position, and I'm very glad I did.
Hopalong Knut is boldly Norwegian, in that they sing på norsk. Lots of bands want to appeal outside of Norway, and thus sing in English. For example, the previous show that I worked with Grand Island and Blind Archery Club. If you go off exploring Hopalong, you'll find that it is only the words that are kjempenorsk. It was a fun show to work, both because their ska sound was more interesting than the last show's light rock sound, and because the teknisk volunteers got to be more involved with setting up the stage. We were there longer, and got to see the sound check before we went home to dinner. The crowd was also more lively, so there was a bit of pushing in the front rows center, and some very drunk kids, but for the most part it went off easily, and the kids went home earlier this time I think, because teknisk crew didn't have to help with the mopping. Just took down the equipment. There was much less waiting around too, and this was with four instead of three volunteers, only one band, and I had more of a clue what I was suppose to be doing and got to it. It definately gets better as you figure things out. And I saw my friends and neighbors in the crowd having a good, not too rowdy time. All but one of them said hello to me, but I was keeping an eagle eye on the crowd and didn't really say much back. With the beloved earplugs in, I couldn't make out much of what they said anyway. Eventually, I will learn to relax and have a good time as scenevakt, but for right now I'm pleased that I didn't nearly fall asleep at my post, and that I have learned how to quickly and correctly coil cables.
*a text message. I don't know why they call them different in Europe.

1 comment:

Muggie said...

SMS - Short Message Service. This is the technical term for what most US citizens call "text messaging" on mobile phones.